Skip Navigation

1099 Tax Statements for Paper Savings Bonds and TreasuryDirect

Paper Savings Bonds

If you cash a paper savings bond at a local bank, that bank is responsible for giving you a 1099.

If you cash a paper savings bond by mailing it to Treasury Retail Securities Services, we mail you a 1099 by January 31 of the following year. (You can call us for a duplicate statement, if needed, beginning February 15.)

TreasuryDirect (electronic securities)

NOTE: 1099s for tax year 2023 are available in your account now. If you have linked accounts (such as a minor account or where you converted paper bonds), each can have its own 1099.

We put a 1099 into your TreasuryDirect account if:

  • You cash a savings bond in TreasuryDirect. (We don’t provide a 1099 if you only buy or hold a savings bond.)
  • You hold a marketable security in TreasuryDirect and the security earns interest.

We place the 1099s by January 31 of the following year. When your 1099 is ready, we send an e-mail to your personal e-mail account and put a message into your InBox within TreasuryDirect.

To see the 1099:

  1. Log in to your TreasuryDirect account
  2. Click the “Manage Direct” tab
  3. Under “Manage My Taxes,” click “Year XXXX”
  4. Near the top of the “Taxable Transaction(s) Summary” page, click “View your 1099 for tax year XXXX”

Video on finding a 1099 in TreasuryDirect