Cashing (Redeeming) Series HH Savings Bonds

We no longer offer Series HH savings bonds, but some we issued in the past haven't matured and are still paying interest.

On this page:

What is my HH bond worth?

An HH bond is worth its face value. If the bond says $500, it was bought for $500 and is now worth $500.

Note: If you find a savings bond that belongs to someone else or buy a savings bond on an online auction site, you cannot cash it. Savings bonds cannot be transferred, sold, or traded.

Note: If you inherit a bond through the death of the bond owner, see "Death of a Savings Bond Owner."

What if my bond is still earning interest?

HH bonds earn interest for up to 20 years. Interest is paid every six months. To see in which months we pay interest on your HH bond, see "Rates and Terms for Series HH Savings Bonds."

When you cash an HH bond, we do not pay interest for part of a six-month interest earning period. Therefore, it is wise to cash an HH bond shortly after its interest-paying time.

If you send your HH bond in for redemption so that the bond is received in the month before interest is due, we will hold your bond until the following month. For example, if you have HH bonds that pay interest in June and you send them in for redemption in May, Treasury Retail Securities Services will hold your bonds and your request until June so that you receive the June interest. They will cash your bonds after the June interest has been paid.

How do I cash my HH bonds?

Your local bank or other financial institution cannot cash HH bonds.

You must complete and sign FS Form 1522 (download or order). Your signature may need to be certified (see instructions on the form).

Send the bonds, FS Form 1522, and any supporting documents (if needed), to the address on the form.

We pay your HH bonds through direct deposit.

If you are not listed as the owner or co-owner on the bond, you must provide legal evidence or other documentation to show you are entitled to cash the bond. (We don't return legal evidence.)

Note: Individual savings bonds may not be split and must be distributed in full.

How do I authorize an attorney-in-fact to cash my bonds?

For instructions, please see FS Publication 0105, "Power of Attorney: United States Savings Bonds & Notes."

Will I get a form for my taxes?

Yes. We mail an IRS Form 1099-INT by January 31 of the year following any year in which we paid interest.

Also, if your bond carries deferred interest, we mail you an IRS Form 1099-INT after you cash the bond or it matures, whichever comes first.

For information on deferred interest and other tax matters, see Tax Considerations for Series HH Savings Bonds.

Can I find out if an HH bond has already been replaced or cashed?

If you have the serial numbers for HH bonds, we can look up the status for you.

If you are the owner or co-owner of the bonds, send a signed request to the address below. Include the serial numbers of the bonds you are asking about.

If the owner or both co-owners have died, you must provide proof such as a copy of the death certificate(s), with your letter and explain in the letter how you are entitled to information about the bonds. (We don't return a death certificate or other legal evidence.)

Send your letter to:

Treasury Retail Securities Services
PO Box 9150
Minneapolis, MN 55480-9150

(Note: Before Series HH savings bonds, we issued Series H savings bonds. All H bonds have matured.)