Skip Navigation

Dealing With Old Paper Treasury Marketable Securities

This page is about paper Treasury Bills, Treasury Notes, and Treasury Bonds.

Treasury Bonds are different from U.S. Savings Bonds
EE Bonds, E Bonds, I Bonds, and HH Bonds are U.S. Savings Bonds. For information on what to do with paper U.S. Savings Bonds, see Converting EE or I paper bonds to electronic bonds, Cashing EE or I savings bonds, or Cashing HH savings bonds.

Treasury marketable securities are now only issued electronically.

If you have a paper Treasury marketable security, it has already matured and is no longer earning interest. You might consider cashing it.


To cash paper Treasury Bonds or coupons, send them to us. The process is different depending on whether the bonds are Bearer bonds or Registered bonds.

Bearer bonds:

  • Using insured registered mail, send us the bonds and any coupons.
  • Include a letter providing payment instructions and the address to which we should mail the redemption check.
  • Include a completed IRS Form W-9.

Registered bonds:

The principal is paid to the registered owner or assignee on presentation of the security to us. We recommend you use registered mail.

If you want your redemption check issued...

  • the same name(s) as the registration, leave the assignment area on the back of the bond blank.
  • a different name from the one on the registration, assign the security by entering the name(s) and address on the "assignee line." You must sign in the presence of an authorized certifying officer at a bank or other financial institution.

Mailing Address

Treasury Retail Securities Services
P.O. Box 9150
Minneapolis, MN 55480-9150

Shipping Address

Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
90 Hennepin Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Called Bonds

Treasury "called" some bonds before they matured, causing the bonds to stop earning interest earlier than they otherwise would have. These bonds were certain ones issued before 1985.

You can cash called paper bonds by following the instructions above, under "Cashing."


For questions about a paper Treasury marketable security, contact us:

  • Email
  • Call 844-284-2676 (free call)
  • Write to:

    Treasury Retail Securities Services
    P.O. Box 9150
    Minneapolis, MN 55480-9150